Tuesday, March 29

Reaching The Pole with Ellis O'Connor


I am a visual artist working in painting, drawing and photography from Scotland.

I use this visual language to challenge assumptions about the natural environment, to reinterpret the grandeur of natural land forms, and to re-present this visual information laden with power.
I intend for my drawings to serve as records of landscapes in flux, honoring the transition of them and inspiring our global community to take action for the future. By producing my art work I hope it will give people a chance to connect with that landscape and respect the nature that is so wild around us, to then cultivate a deeper understanding and inspire others to make a difference. 



And so for my latest project I am going as north as I can possibly go. I have been invited among a select group of artists and scientists worldwide to participate in The Arctic Circle Residency Programme in October 2016 for three weeks around the remote and northern Archipelago of Svalbard. I will be on a boat with a select group of artists and scientists from around the world circumnavigating these Islands using my visual art work and photography to address the issues of global warming and the progressive effects of climate change around the North Pole. 


Even though I’ve been awarded this unique residency, I still must raise funds for expenses related to this expedition to join the residency which will cover all of the expenses on the expedition and secure my place. The remaining funding will go towards travel costs to and from Longyearben and art materials which will be used to make new work on the residency.


I currently have a live crowdfunder campaign which is a way of investing in my project and receiving original art work and prints made in Svalbard. Any donation from you will go a long way in realizing this opportunity.

Click the link here to see the campaign.

To follow my adventures in the North and see my full portfolio please go to my website here at: www.ellisoconnor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment